Monday, May 29, 2006

More Fiber Fest Pictures.

I had my great plan of showing different purchases on different days. (Maybe because I didn't want it to seem like I bought so much. Who knows.) Well the internet went down again today, for the entire day, so I give up and I'm just going to post them all at once, minus the alpaca that was shown at some odd hour of the morning yesterday.

The reason I bought so much? I think a large part is due to the fact that I don't really have any stores around me that sell fiber in fiber form. The one that does has a wide variety of color: white, brown, and that's about it. I love the fiber show because of all the colors! They just make me happy. Almost as happy as when I wander around looking at Red Heart. After using the natural fibers, the only thing that brings me back to the acrylic is the colors.

The colors were my weakness... that and the exotic (I guess you could call them that) fibers. I'm sure you'll see why.

First off i really like red. It's just so pretty. Who couldn't pass up those colors? I wouldn't call this roving "exotic". It's wool. Merino top, but it comes from sheep which don't exactly scream exotic animal. It's pretty though, and it's softer than other wool that I've worked with.

From the same vendor came this. Also very, very pretty. I'm really interested to see how this yellow thing will spin up. Funny story about this vendor. I was talking to them about sheep. I saw that it was Merino so I asked about how Merino was pronounced. Why? Because when I was at the zoo a few weeks back the person feeding the Merino sheep pronounced it weird. I corrected him, but deep down wondered if I really knew what I was talking about. So I bothered the vendor about it. The sheep I saw at the zoo, she had sold to the zoo. Small, small world.

Anyways!

More alpaca! I liked the colors. Bright, happy colors that are much prettier in real life. I had the hardest time picking out which ones I wanted. These are hand-dyed and no two are the same. She had some spun up and it just looked gorgeous. She told me to send her some pictures once I get it spun up so I'll definitely have to do that.Llama. It was on sale. What more could I say? The colors are so pretty too.... I've got this thing for natural colors right now. The white, and the brown, and the black, all in one bag... It makes me happy. I'd say Llama is a bit on the not-so-common side?This. Is not common. That I know. I've tried finding it online. I've seen advertisements in magazines talking about how unbelievably warm it is. How it's soooooo much warmer than wool. Well. I've seen it online. It was very expensive. Online 2 ounces of roving go for about 20 dollars. If you want 2 ounces of yarn, its 48 dollars. After seeing this I thought no way I'd ever buy it. A little out of my price range. But look how pretty. It's dyed too which I'm still trying to figure out. Buffalo.... I've always wanted buffalo yarn. I don't know how many ounces I have. There's nothing on it telling me how many ounces, and I haven't weighed it myself. My personal guess is at least 4 ounces. Probably 4-6. I really don't know though. Comparing it to the Llama, my guess is they're pretty similar in the amount of fiber. I have 8 ounces of Llama, so 4-6 ounces of buffalo seems like a reasonable guess. I think I'm going to send an e-mail to the person I bought it off of and see if they know the ounces. They might, the did have several of these "magic stripes" roving. I know they were selling already spun yarn at their booth and had a set price per ounce.

We'll see what I find out.

Bought some cotton today too for all the dishcloths we've been making at the charity knitting group. Bought a whole pound of Peaches and Creme in some really nice Spring colors. Maybe I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. That is assuming that the internet is working.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

beautiful fiber! I can't wait to see it spun up!!!

I'm so bummed I missed the fiber fest... oh well. there's always next year!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home