Monday, April 24, 2006

Yes, I do spin.

I warn you in advance of the many pictures I loaded into this update.

If you have dial up, I appologize.

I say I spin, but you've never actually seen proof, so it may be hard for some of you to actually belive it.

I bought this roving about a year ago and have yet to touch the white. Now the purple/blue/white/grey stuff? I've been messing with that for the past year and don't have tons to show for it. In fact the last bobbin was done just this past month, that's how lazy I've been with spinning. Pretty isn't it? I love it. It's funny how many colors are in it, they all can't be seen in this photo so I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

Well... Tonight I died some roving, because white roving is just no fun. I don't like white clothes, because they show dirt and I tend to be a messy person. The entire reason I bought this roving in the first place was so I could kool-aid dye it.

Don't know why I decided to do it tonight, but I figured a test swatch can't hurt, and I'm home all day tomorrow to do the real stuff if everything works out.


WARNING! I have no freaking clue what I'm doing so if you're going to be stupid like me, do so at your own risk. Thank you!


And so my adventure begins. I peeled off a decent sized section of roving and "washed it." Then I made my kool-aid mix. Water and kool-aid (it was really difficult). Then, I put my roving into the kool-aid mix and added more water so the roving was covered. Then I microwaved. Yup, microwaved. 2 minutes on high... let it sit as long as my impatient personality would let me, 2 more minutes, let it sit a little longer, and put it in for another minute and a half cause it was almost done. Then it was just perfect.

Now was the task of rinsing and washing again. So I stuck my finger in the water to see if it was cool enough. I burned myself. (don't be impatient like me)


So I got out the spinning wheel and finished up another bobbin. I still have a decent bit of roving left so I'll probably get another bobbin out of it. Then there's the horrible issue of plying. I've never worked with this much yarn before. So I have a feeling once I start plying It'll be too big for one bobbin. That's my dillemma. Maybe I'll just make a bunch of mini skeins. But that leads to more crisises... How do I know how many yards I have! I have no clue how to find out. Guess?!?! How do this spinning people know?! There must be a biiig secret no one tells me.

Okay, back to the dying story. After I let it cool down, I rinsed it and washed it, as I'm sure you would have guessed. Then I threw it in the bathtub to dry.

It's official. I'm pretty sure my family thinks I'm nuts.

To me it looks like it's worked well. I like bright colors, and I'm a bit sad it wasn't bright like I wanted it to be, then again, it was black cherry Kool-aid, it would be as bright as regular cherry.

I think I'm going to go pick up more Kool-aid tomorrow and dye up the rest of it. I have the rest of the one ball plus a whole other ball. Or maybe I should just work with one ball. I don't know I have no idea how much yarn I'm going to get from 8oz of roving. I think I'll just finish up the 8oz ball I've started and leave the other one till I see what happens with this.

Maybe I should get that one skein book everyone's talking about. It would probably be perfect for hand spun yarn since I always feel like I'll never have enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

It looks great!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Simi Valley Home Staging said...

Very thoughtful bllog

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home