Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So tell me

I'm just not sure when it comes to socks. I bought enough yarn to make 7 pairs of socks, yet I've never actually made socks. I just got back from JoAnns with my purse handle and zipper. While there I detoured through the yarn section to look at dpns and to be upset at the fact that they never have the sizes needed to make socks. Of course I wouldn't really expect them to seeing as how it's a craft store and most craft stores don't have anything smaller than 5s. But wait! Oh my, they had 1s, 2s, and 3s! Who would have thought! They also had circulars in size 2! But they were in packs of four. Most of the time when I'm reading the blogs I read people recommend using five dpns when making socks because apparently it "works" better. Either that or I've imagined this whole scenario which is entirely possible.

So my question for you. How much of a difference does it make whether you use five dpns or four? I imagine no difference, but I really haven't made socks either.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sorka said...

Yea it makes a difference.. it is easier to knit with 5 dpn's .. I have some little ones you can borrow!! or heck you can have em!!
Denise

4:25 PM  
Blogger kdk said...

DPNs -- Pbbbt! They make my hands hurt, and then they fall out. I'm way too clumsy for DPNs. I'm all about socks on two circs.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I use five because the first sock pattern i used called for 5. I've tried using 4 (since yes, my favorites, the susan bates, come in sets of 4), but the needles seem very akward this way - with 5 the four "non-working" needles seem to be more out of the way, and with 4 they're always there driving me crazy. My soultion is to buy two packs- they're pretty cheap and that way I have spares if I lose/bend one. I also look for sales (at Hobby Lobby if you have one close by- they often do needles/accessorites for 50% off) and buy up. Hobby Lobby also usually has them cheaper at their regular price than JoAnns. Buy three packages and you'll have enough needles to have two socks on the go at once! :)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

I dunno.. I'm still afraid to knit socks!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

5 needles are nice because you have less sts on each needle, and are therefore less likely to drop sts since they aren't as close to the ends. Also, since you are knitting over 4 needles, the sts can generally be more easily divided into quarters than thirds. Also, if this is your first foray into DPN-land, I really recommend using wood or bamboo since they are much less slippy than metal... love your blog & thatnks the the comments on mine!

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home